AEC has the following vacancies at this time.
Appalachian Electric Cooperative (AEC) provides electric service to 48,000 members in East Tennessee. We own and maintain an electric distribution system that covers 600 square miles in parts of Grainger, Hamblen, Hawkins, Jefferson, and Sevier counties.
We currently have an opportunity for a Journeyman Lineman in our New Market, Tennessee office. The Journeyman Lineman participates in the operation, maintenance, and construction of electrical power distribution and transmission line facilities of the Cooperative and in compliance with the standard practices of the Rural Utilities Services (RUS), the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), and AEC.
AEC offers a competitive salary and benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, short and long term disability, paid parental leave, 401k and a company funded pension plan. Benefits eligibility is first of the month following 30 days of employment.
Appalachian Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
AEC IS A TENNESSEE DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Works around and on energized and de-energized equipment and lines with voltages up to 161kV
• Assembles repairs, disassembles, erects, or moves line structures including installing and removing cross arms, guys, pins, insulators, and other line hardware
• Sets, resets, and stubs poles; frames poles and prepares structures including string, sag, repair, remove, and tie in conductor
• Installs, repairs, and removes members’ services, meters, and other service equipment, streetlights and security light systems; makes necessary connections, taps, and splices; and installs guys and jumpers in accordance with prescribed procedures
• Performs work on the underground primary and secondary system, including but not limited to, pulling cable, making cable splices, installing and connecting underground pad mounted transformers, and making underground distribution terminations
• Installs, makes field repairs, removes and operates line protective and control equipment including reclosers, sectionalizers, oil circuit breakers, oil switches, regulators, capacitors, fuses, lightning arresters, and grounds
• Installs, makes field repairs, and removes transformers including metering transformers; assists with the installation of primary meters; builds and repairs mountings, platforms, and racks making connections and performing other duties relative to transformer and meter maintenance and installation
• Utilizes Cooperative line construction equipment, including material handling bucket trucks, digger derrick trucks, telehandler, and line pulling/tensioning machinery
• Reads and interprets meter data as needed for service
• Tests lines and line equipment using prescribed methods and equipment
• Trims trees, brush and weeds; removes damaged line material and debris to clear lines and perform repairs
• Assists in substation work as needed during normal and emergency conditions
• Procures, loads, unloads, and handles material, equipment, tools, equipment and supplies.
• Cleans and maintains equipment as directed
• Cleans work area during and upon completion of work and properly disposes of debris
• Assists in the training of apprentices and other associated classifications.
• Performs all duties in accordance with established safety practices
• Supplies own hand tools to perform the essential duties and job responsibilities as required by the Cooperative and union contract
• Performs standby duties as required
• Works overtime as required including reporting during emergency or outage conditions
• Reports and takes necessary measures to correct system deficiencies
• Performs other miscellaneous, related, and incidental duties as required
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or GED.
• Proof of completion of an approved apprenticeship lineman program
• Minimum 1 year recent experience as a journeyman lineman with an electrical utility or utility contractor.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
• Must hold a valid Tennessee Commercial Driver's License (Class A or B), orpossess the ability to obtain a CDL within six months of hire.
• Must maintain an insurable driving record
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Regular on time attendance is required
• Learn and utilize various computer software programs, including but not limited to timekeeping systems and mapping systems
• Ability to legibly write routine reports and correspondence
• Ability to speak effectively and clearly to Cooperative members and employees
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
• The position requires working outside in varying weather conditions
• The work required in this position poses a potential risk of electrical shock
• Must be able to walk over uneven, steep and difficult terrain for distances of over one mile on a regular, recurring basis
• Must be able to work at heights up to 100 feet including working in bucket trucks or other aerial devices and climbing wood poles and steel structures
• May require working in trenches
• Regularly exposed to equipment and devices with moving parts
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
o stand, walk, climb, balance, sit, bend, stoop, kneel
o use hands to finger, handle or feel
o reach further than arm’s length, work below waist level, work above shoulder level
o operate power tools, machinery and motorized vehicles and equipment
o lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 100 lbs
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally:
o Required to lift, carry, push and/or pull over 100 lbs with assistance
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud
• The position requires specific safety equipment and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) which must be used properly at all times
Full time residence must be within 45 minutes of the Cooperative main office within 90 days of hire.
Appalachian Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer